The History of Cell Phones in Korea
Pantech and Two Number
Pantech is a brand of a Korean mobile phone company founded in 1991
and supplied 9.45 million mobile phones in 2009, achieving 2.132 trillion won in sales and 148 billion won in operating profit,
and the third-largest seller of mobile phones in the Korean market.
Currently, Pantech supplies 4G LTE folder phones, smartphones, and platform terminals through Two Number Co., Ltd.
Two Number signed a contract to use the Pantech brand
on folder phones, smartphones, and platform terminals on May 22, 2020.
Pantech is the name and brand of a Korean mobile phone company founded in 1991.
Since its inception, Pantech has produced number callers, wide-area callers, voice callers, FLEX-based high-speed callers, industrial radios, short-term TRSs,
business vehicle radios, FINKEY, FINSIGN, PHS, CT-2 PLUS, PCS, WLL/GSM/PDA, line image transceivers, black-and-white/color surveillance cameras,
CCD camera modules, PC input cameras, video boards, modems, VGA cards, videoconferencing systems, EDUTAINMENT PARK, etc.
Since 1994, it has entered the CDMA-based mobile phone market and introduced 3G WCDMA folder phones,
then for the smartphone business in 2010, introduced Sirius, Izar, Vega and Mirac.
All of them are named after stars in the galaxy.
Among them, the company branded Vega S and Vega X,
and released its mega-hit Vega Racer, which sold 1.5 million units,
overtaking LG Electronics as the No. 2 player in the Korean smartphone market.
Pantech had KDDI, au and a number of non-Korean telecommunication companies as its clients.
In particular, the company has partnered with AT&T, the second-largest U.S. carrier,
to release a number of products, including low budget smartphone ‘Bust’ and waterproof tablet ‘Element’,
at that time they used the brand of ‘Pantech’.
Pantech has developed its technology through endless research since its establishment.
- 1991.03Pantech Co., Ltd. Starts Up
- 1992.04Launch Domestic and Export Sales of Wireless Callers
- 1995.07Over-the-counter stock market (KOSDAQ) registration
- 1997.08Listed (enterprise disclosure)
- 1998.05U.S. Motorola Inc. signed an OEM contract
- 1999.05Obtained ISO 9001 (Korea Management Association)
- 2001.06ODM contract with Motorola in the US to start production of GSM mobile phone terminals
- 2002.04Strategy Alliance Agreement(SAA) made with Motorola in the US
- 2003.03CDMA 2000 1x EV-DO Device Launched
- 2005.12Merged with Sky Teletech
- 2009.12Pantech & Curitel Merged
- 2010.08Launched Smartphone 'Vega' and 'Gold Rookie' phone for beginners in society
- 2012.03Accumulated sales of 4G LTE phones in Korea reached 1 million units
- 2016.06Launched Pantech's first built-in battery product, IM-100
- 2020.05Branding Agreement signed between Two Number and Pantech
phones, smartphones and platform terminals